Why is French important to Louisiana? [fr]
Louisiana is globally recognized for its history of French language and culture. From the colonial period to the present, French is continuously shaping the culture and future of the state as well as influencing the lives of those who call it home.
- In partnership with CODOFIL, France has been investing in French-immersion education in Louisiana since 1968
- Between 120,000 and 150,000 Louisiana residents speak French at home
- There are 30 French-immersion schools in the state with over 5,000 students
- There are over 200 teachers from France teaching French in Louisiana
- About 250,000 Louisiana residents have a working knowledge of the French language
In addition to culture and language, Louisiana has become a major platform for French-American business relations. French Organizations such as Veolia, Sodexo, Gameloft, Total, Schlumberger, Air Liquide are thriving in the state.
- In 2014, over 11,000 jobs were supported by trade with France
- More than 1,200 American groups operate in France with more than 440,000 employees, making the United States the largest employer in France
- France is the third largest foreign employer in Louisiana
- The United States is the fourth largest foreign investor in France
- Louisiana is ranked No.1 for exports in the United States
- Export totals from Louisiana to France: 2.3 billion dollars
- Export total from France to Louisiana: 436.9 million dollars
- Global economic impact of Louisiana: 10 billion dollars